Lizzy11268

Callie Bates
Mississippi Blood
Greg Iles
bookbridgr.com

Bathing the Lion by Jonathan Carroll - Review.

Bathing the Lion - Jonathan Carroll

Publication Date: 21st October 2014 from St Martins Press.

Source: Netgalley

Five people who live in the same New England town go to sleep one night and all share the same hyper-realistic dream. Some of these people know each other; some don’t.

This is one of those books that you finish, put to one side, then scratch your head thinking “What did I just read?” I mean this in an extremely positive way – it was, quite simply, brilliant.

So we’ve got an eclectic cast of characters, some connected, some not so much, who experience a terribly realistic dream together. Upon awakening THEY are the ones scratching their heads and asking what the heck just happened, but at least some of them have an idea. Turns out that perhaps they are not as entirely human as they thought..and at least ONE of them has known this about themselves all along.

It was a marvellously magical read, with a strange and off kilter ambience that pretty much forces you into another world, where things may not be quite as straightforward as they appear and things you catch out of the corner of your eye may have more meaning than is immediately obvious. Despite the fact that it is rather surreal, the characterisation is superb with each individual blossoming as the story pans out, drawing you into their circle of influence and keeping you turning those pages. The dreamlike quality of the entire story is supremely imaginative and will have you speculating on those things we cannot see – overall a really really fun and involving story.

Some whimsical and intelligent writing here, I fell in love with the style, it really did flow so well, every time I put it down I immediately wanted to pick it back up again. As we reached the finale I became more and more into it, I REALLy could not see how it was going to end and did think for a while that perhaps it was going to need a sequel. The action hots up, the author sets you up nicely for the various reveals and it had a highly satisfactory conclusion that explains both everything and nothing. You’ll see.

Anyway, it was a totally cool reading experience for me – I really can’t believe I havent read Jonathan Carroll before, a terrible lack of judgement from me, a person who claims to know a good book when I see one.  I shall immediately take steps to change that, a visit to the bookshop is in order I believe.

Highly Recommended.