Lizzy11268

Callie Bates
Mississippi Blood
Greg Iles
bookbridgr.com

No Safe House by Linwood Barclay - Review.

No Safe House - Linwood Barclay

Publication Date: 25th September from Orion.

Source: Netgalley

Seven years ago, Terry Archer and his family experienced a horrific ordeal that nearly cost them their lives. Today, the echoes of that fateful night are still audible. Terry’s wife, Cynthia, is living separate from her husband and daughter after her own personal demons threatened to ruin her relationship with them permanently. Their daughter, Grace, is rebelling against her parents’ seemingly needless overprotection. Terry is just trying to keep his family together. And the entire town is reeling from the senseless murder of two elderly locals.

So this is the sequel to “No Time For Goodbye” an early novel from this author, and in this readers opinion still one of his best, so to say I was excited to read a sequel would be to put it mildly.

In all honesty I found it to be a bit hit and miss. Mr Barclay is well known for his haunting twisty plots, that immediately draw you into a web of intrigue…so I think the real issue for me personally in “No Safe House” was that the whole thing took a while to take off and even then was not as evocative and addictive as usual.

Thats not to say it is a bad book, by any means, in my case I think I found it difficult because I loved the characters in the first novel and this time around, frankly, I thought they (especially Terry) were just plain stupid a lot of the time. Add to that the plot became over complicated and kept disappearing down side alleys that didnt go anywhere.

In the good news department there are a couple of villainous villains who are intriguing, the last third of the book picked up pace and delivered a much better read, and there were definite flashes of the old brilliance. Overall though, although I would award it a solid 3* , I rather wish that the end of No Time For Goodbye had actually been goodbye to the story for good.

This in no way puts me off reading more from Linwood Barclay, who from his very first book has been one of my favourite thriller writers. But this one did not QUITE hit the mark for me.

Happy Reading Folks!