Lizzy11268

Callie Bates
Mississippi Blood
Greg Iles
bookbridgr.com

Trust in Me by Sophie McKenzie - Review.

Trust in Me - Sophie McKenzie

Publication Date: 11th September from Simon and Shuster UK

Source: Netgalley

Julia has always been the friend that Livy turns to when life is difficult. United fifteen years ago by grief at the brutal murder of Livy’s sister, Kara, they’ve always told each other everything.
Or so Livy thought. So when Julia is found dead in her home, Livy cannot come to terms with the news that she chose to end her own life. The Julia that Livy knew was vibrant and vivacious, a far cry from the selfish neurotic that her family seem determined to paint her as.

So my favourite kind of read then, psychological thrillers – my second novel from Sophie McKenzie, having loved “Close my Eyes”.

In this story, Livy is devastated when best friend Julia apparently commits suicide – not buying it at all, she begins to investigate Julia’s life and realises that perhaps she did not know her at all. Alienating everyone around her, Livy is determined to get to the truth of the matter but danger lies ahead as she stirs up an age old murder and finds herself in the sights of a killer…

This was an intriguing and engaging read, with a few good twists and turns, even though I spotted the murderer quite early on this did not detract from my overall enjoyment of the novel, probably because there were some great characters in here that I was eager to follow through to the finish.

On the plus side, Livy is well imagined and has a good depth to her – her actions, even whilst occasionally rather inept, are all realistic to the character. The killer, when given a voice, is truly chilling, their actions described in a matter of fact manner that sends a shiver through you. On the more negative side, by the end of the novel I didnt really feel I knew Julia at all – she is described in retrospect by several other people all of whom have a different viewpoint – realistic perhaps yes, but I would have liked her to be more grounded. I really liked Will, Livy’s husband, but again felt that he was a bit too much in the background,  as he is central to Livy’s world and dictates a lot of her emotion and mindset.

Having said all that, this was definitely a page turner – there are some truly edge of the seat moments and I found the ending to be satisfying and exciting, Ms McKenzie managing to ramp up the intensity at just the right moment. The overall flow of the novel is great, building the tension and leading you to the moment where all is revealed and the final showdown brings all the threads together in a heart stopping section that will have you holding your breath.

Overall a highly enjoyable read and definitely recommended for fans of crime fiction and psychological thrillers.

Happy Reading Folks!