Lizzy11268

Callie Bates
Mississippi Blood
Greg Iles
bookbridgr.com

Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness - Review.

Shadow of Night - Deborah Harkness

Publication Date: Available now from Headline.

Book 2 of the “All Souls” trilogy.

Source: Netgalley

Seeking safety, Diana and Matthew travel back in time to London, 1590. But they soon realise that the past may not provide a haven. Reclaiming his former identity as poet and spy for Queen Elizabeth, the vampire falls back in with a group of radicals known as the School of Night. Many are unruly daemons, the creative minds of the age, including playwright Christopher Marlowe and mathematician Thomas Harriot.

So I LOVED “A Discovery of Witches” the first novel in this series, I have to admit to not being quite as enamoured of this one, but still I read it in pretty much one sitting so that comes as an overall viewpoint rather than speaking to the quality of the tale itself.

I did really enjoy the Historical aspect of this, meeting Marlow and Shakespeare and Harriot – and found it amusing as Diana settled into a very different life, getting used to the speech and the clothing. Obviously well researched (well of course!) the sense of time and place came across extremely well. I think the main problem was that I missed Oxford, a place I know well, and was also suffering from chronic impatience – I very much wanted all our heroes and heroines to be back together again, not separated by centuries…so definitely a case of Middle book syndrome. I want to know the outcome and I want to know now!

I also felt that Diana was a little lost as a character in amongst all the other goings on, it was not until towards the end of this part of the tale that I reconnected with her in the same way that I did in “Discovery” – equally I felt that Matthew was slightly overshadowed by Kit, but him I adored so that was not so bad.

This really is terrific writing and despite the pitfalls overall I really liked it, if not loved and I cannot WAIT until “The Book of Life” arrives on my reading schedule, I have it on good authority that the ending of the trilogy is fantastic and highly satisfactory. Watch this space!

Happy Reading Folks!