Lizzy11268

Callie Bates
Mississippi Blood
Greg Iles
bookbridgr.com

Say Her Name by James Dawson - Review.

Say Her Name - James Dawson

Publication Date: Available now from Hot Key Books.

Source: Purchased copy.

Roberta ‘Bobbie’ Rowe is not the kind of person who believes in ghosts. A Halloween dare at her ridiculously spooky boarding school is no big deal, especially when her best friend Naya and cute local boy Caine agree to join in too. They are ordered to summon the legendary ghost of ‘Bloody Mary’: say her name five times in front of a candlelit mirror, and she shall appear… But, surprise surprise, nothing happens. Or does it?

A little while ago I read “Cruel Summer” from this author and adored it, the best fun I’ve had with a book in ages, being a horror movie geek of the highest order and never before being able to get that same feeling from a novel. Now I’ve read “Say her Name” I am admittedly a little bit of a James Dawson fangirl. Yes yes ok I’m middle aged and supposed to be all grown up and stuff but really, who needs that kind of stress in their lives? Far better to remain young at heart and in action.

Say Her Name takes the legend of Bloody Mary, gives it a modern day setting, and manages to freak the life out of you whilst also making you smile wryly – I mean honestly, who would be stupid enough to stand in front of a mirror and say her name 5 times anyway? To be fair the likelihood of a ghostly being then stalking you around for a few days before dragging you off to goodness knows where is remote but YOU NEVER KNOW. Everyone who visits Crystal Lake STILL expects to get out alive as well, I mean really…Don’t these people KNOW the rules?

The little gang of teenagers in Say Her Name apparently DO know the rules but choose to ignore them. Cue a lot of very scary goings on, some absolutely terrific scene setting and a very funny and witty main character in Bobbie and you have a perfect storm. I was at turns petrified and amused, the whole thing has a brilliant flow to it and James Dawson knows exactly how to paint a picture with words, the whole thing unravels in your head like a mini movie – for me, Mary took on the image of that chilling girl from “The Ring” who crawls out of the television to kill you horribly – If my bed wasnt a divan I would have been hiding underneath it, reading via torchlight like a child, and jumping at shadows. As it was my axe proof duvet had to suffice.

The author takes the horror movie stereotypes and gives them a little twist and a litte turn, adds a lot of energy to the proceedings with his wry eye to the ironic and has written a frightening, chilling and clever tale that will spook you and curdle your blood. Oh and a marvellous ending. Loved it. More please.

Happy Reading Folks!