Lizzy11268

Callie Bates
Mississippi Blood
Greg Iles
bookbridgr.com

Behind Closed Doors by Susan Lewis - Review.

Behind Closed Doors - Susan Lewis

Publication Date: August 14th from Randomhouse UK Cornerstone.

Source: Netgalley

When fourteen-year-old Sophie Monroe suddenly vanishes one night it looks at first as though she’s probably run away from home. Her computer and mobile phone have gone, and she’s taken a bag full of clothes.  However, as the police investigation unfolds a wealth of secrets from the surrounding community start coming to light..

An intriguing and emotional read this one, the tale of a missing schoolgirl which throws up all sorts of underlying issues within a community and the police officer responsible for finding out what happened to her.

A wonderful mix of family drama and mystery, this is a gripping tale – mostly, I think, because of the emotional resonance this case has for Andrea Lawrence, our main protagonist, who’s sister went missing years before and was never found…her thoughts and feelings as she attempts to find Sophie add a fascinating depth to a tale often told.

There is some beautiful writing here that breathes life into a community who have lost one of their own – and gives a real insight into the hidden turmoil that can lurk just beneath a seemingly idyllic place. Add to that a realistic and sometimes pragmatic look at the secrets that can lurk “behind closed doors” and you have a terrifically constructed tale that will keep you turning pages long into the night.

I’ve been blessed recently with many great reads within this genre – this one is excellent, I always find the best ones are absolutely character driven and not necessarily focussed entirely on the one event – Susan Lewis pulls many threads together to tell many stories of different lives here, and it is cleverly done and very moving.

This may be my first novel from this author but it will definitely not be my last.

Happy Reading Folks!