Lizzy11268

Callie Bates
Mississippi Blood
Greg Iles
bookbridgr.com

One of us by Tawni O Dell review.

One of Us - Tawni O'Dell

Publication Date: 19th August 2014 from Gallery.

Thank you to the author and publisher for the netgalley review copy.

Dr. Sheridan Doyle, a fastidiously groomed and TV-friendly forensic psychologist, is the go-to shrink for the Philadelphia District Attorney’s office whenever a twisted killer’s mind eludes other experts. But beneath his Armani pinstripes, he’s still Danny Doyle, the awkward, terrified, bullied boy from a blue-collar mining family. Returning to a hometown grappling with its own ghosts, Danny finds a dead body at the infamous Lost Creek gallows where a band of rebellious Irish miners was once executed. Strangely, the body is connected to the wealthy family responsible for the miners’ deaths. Teaming up with veteran detective Rafe, a father-like figure from his youth, Danny, in pursuit of a killer, comes dangerously close to startling truths about his family, his past, and himself.

This is my first Tawni O Dell novel and I found it to be a well written and engaging psychological thriller, very much character driven and with some very dark undertones that kept me enthralled throughout the reading experience -  I will definitely be tracking down more books from this author.

Told as it is from two different viewpoints  – Danny and Scarlet – it has a great depth of atmosphere and some truly chilling moments alongside real psychological insight into the characters and what has led them here. Not so much a “whodunnit” as a “whydunnit” this tracks the history and events leading up to the time that brings Danny back to his childhood home and the ramifications of some hidden truths coming to light.

Atmospherically speaking the sense of place is magnificent – the dying town of Lost Creek is brought into sharp focus by some imaginative and intelligent writing that lets you see what is bubbling just beneath the surface. A dark history abounds here and its effects are far reaching – by allowing her characters to lead the way Ms O Dell manages to keep you off kilter, never sure what may be just around the corner, at the same time giving a snapshot of small town life and the intricacy of that which is absolutely fascinating.

I don’t want to delve too much into the plot – it has a rich vein of history running through it and one of those stories where discovery is key, the slow but steady build up of information is done here in top notch fashion and I would highly recommend that you go into it with as little prior information as possible.

Overall an excellent read in one of my favourite genre’s and comes recommended for fans of Crime fiction with an edge.

Happy Reading Folks!