Lizzy11268

Callie Bates
Mississippi Blood
Greg Iles
bookbridgr.com

The Third Wife by Lisa Jewell - Review.

The Third Wife - Lisa Jewell

Publication Date: Available now from Randomhouse UK Cornerstone.

Thank you to the author and publisher for the review copy via netgalley.

In the early hours of an April morning, Maya stumbles into the path of an oncoming bus.
A tragic accident? Or suicide?
Her grief-stricken husband, Adrian, is determined to find out.
Maya had a job she enjoyed; she had friends. They’d been in love.
She even got on with his two previous wives and their children. In fact, they’d all been one big happy family.
But before long Adrian starts to identify the dark cracks in his perfect life.
Because everyone has secrets.
And secrets have consequences.
Some of which can be devastating.

So my second Lisa Jewell book in as many weeks – and certainly there will be more coming up for me in the future – if anything I enjoyed this even more than “The House We Grew Up In” – I read it pretty much in one sitting.

In “The Third Wife” Ms Jewell delves into the psychology of a fractured family – one that on the surface looks magical, everyone having moved on and accepted the changes but underneath the surface there is a whirlpool of resentment and hidden secrets. Absolutely compelling throughout, at the heart of it sits the character of Adrian, a man who is in love with love.

Once again it is the characters that pop – all beautifully well drawn, absolutely realistic and with a sharp emotional edge that keeps you turning the pages to see what will happen to them. Using past and present, as we learn how Maya went from happily married and blissfully ignorant to realisation that everything is not as perfect as it appears, and the events leading up to her death, alongside Adrian’s grieving process and his coming to an understanding of how things were and are, this was fascinating and poignant reading.

I was totally hooked into this family throughout – both of Adrian’s ex wives are wonderful to behold, the children all have their own little quirks and foibles and the emotional resonance of how the adult affairs affect them is insightful and often very sad. A complex tangled web of sentiment is unravelled slowly and surely before our eyes as the truth emerges from the fiction created by Adrian of how well adjusted everyone around him appears to be – the depth of his tunnel vision will at times astound you, and yet it is easy to understand why he suffers convenient blindness to the realities of how his actions have consequences.

Absolutely remarkable writing, that sticks you front and centre of the story as it unfolds, I cannot recommend this highly enough.

Happy Reading Folks!