Lizzy11268

Callie Bates
Mississippi Blood
Greg Iles
bookbridgr.com

The Accident By Chris Pavone - Review.

The Accident - Chris Pavone

Thank you to the author and publisher for the review copy.

In New York City, Isabel Reed, one of the most respected and powerful literary agents in the city, frantically turns the pages of a manuscript into the early dawn hours. This manuscript – printed out, hand-delivered, totally anonymous – is full of shocking revelations and disturbing truths, things which could compromise national security. Is this what she’s been waiting for her entire career: a book that will help her move on from a painful past, a book that could save her beloved industry… a book that will change the world?

Having read “The Expats” on a whim a while ago and very much enjoyed it, I was looking forward to this one – and wow, it was page turning stuff!

Set over 24 hours, we follow the course of a book. Not just any book – this is “The Accident” by Anonymous, a dangerous book to be aware of, one that holds disturbing revelations that a lot of very deadly people would prefer never saw the light of day.

Isabel has read it – and understands the pitfalls. She tries to keep it as low key as possible while trying to find the right way to publish it but falls foul of several (rather alarmingly stupid and over ambitious) characters who are determined to make it their own and take all the glory. Add to that a team of people who’s one aim is to ensure that the book never gets out into the world and you have the recipe for a dizzying, adrenalin rush of a read that hardly lets up for a moment.

The thing I loved most about this one was the (possibly rather skewed? I have no personal knowledge!) insight into the publishing industry – and the many varied characters that get involved when it comes to the whole mish mash of things that have to happen before that book you want is sitting on the shelves. In my rather twisty brain I now have visions of   “Fight Club” like meetings where down and dirty fistfights decide who will get the rights to a much wanted novel – either that or whoever can run away fastest clutching the manuscript in their hands whilst pushing other hapless publishing types out of the way. It made fascinating reading and and served to put you right into the story, and become just as invested in “The Accident” as Isabel was, albeit possibly for different reasons.

We get to meet Kate again (main protagonist from The Expats) which made me a very happy reader having been totally invested in her  during the reading of that novel, along with an eclectic cast of new characters all extremely well drawn and enchanting – although often very dislikeable.

What Chris Pavone has done here is created a Thriller with heart – action packed but allowing for compelling character development and getting the reader invested totally in seeing this book published. Or not. Maybe you’ll come down on the side of the darker forces…who knows? Either way I half expected Jack Bauer to appear running around with his gun at some point – it was that intense (although much more realistic than 24 hours in the life of Jack who never appears to need the bathroom) and as such was a highly enjoyable read. Another 4am finish for me…

Very much recommended.