Lizzy11268

Callie Bates
Mississippi Blood
Greg Iles
bookbridgr.com

The Toy Taker by Luke Delaney - Review.

The Toy Taker - Luke Delaney

Coming Febuary 2014

Thank you for the advance copy Kate!

Your child has been taken…
Snatched in the dead of night from the safety of the family home. There’s no sign of forced entry, no one heard or saw a thing.
DI Sean Corrigan investigates.
He needs to find four-year-old George Bridgeman before abduction becomes murder. But his ability to see into dark minds, to think like those he hunts, has deserted him – just when he needs it most.
Another child vanishes.
What kind of monster is Corrigan hunting? And will he work it out in time to save the children?

So here we are at the third Sean Corrigan book by Luke Delaney and honestly these just get better and better. In this instalment Sean has to deal with a missing child, a change of location and the interference of politically motivated superior officers…all the while fighting his own inner demons.

Perfectly paced, with plenty of edge of the seat excitement tempered with more thoughtful and contemplative moments this is a top notch example of what good Crime Fiction should be. Sean Corrigan, our main protagonist has many sides, not all of them loveable..and one of the things I have been enjoying most about this particular series is the character development, not only of Sean but of those surrounding him. It is extremely well done here, the after effects of what has gone before in previous novels echoes through this latest tale with realism and emotional resonance.

The mystery element here is just as good if not better than has gone before.  I also love how this author fleshes out his victims and peripheral characters – occasionally in Crime Fiction this can feel “slap dash” as if they are unimportant because its unlikely you will meet them again further down the line – but that is absolutely not the case here. Some of the threads of this and previous books in the series covers some quite emotive subjects and Luke Delaney manages to be sympathetic and yet absolutely authentic in his handling of them.

Some clever little twists and turns make this intriguing and fascinating – now of course the problem for me is, lucky as I am to be able to read these early thanks to the super Kate from Harper Collins, I now have a long long wait until I can have more. Which displeases me. This chronic impatience of mine can be a problem.

If you love Crime Fiction and want it to be real yet escapist, beautifully written and clever, then these books are definitely for you.

Happy Reading Folks!