Lizzy11268

Callie Bates
Mississippi Blood
Greg Iles
bookbridgr.com

0.4 by Mike Lancaster - Review.

0.4  - Mike A. Lancaster

It's a brave new world. 'My name is Kyle Straker. And I don't exist anymore.' So begins the story of Kyle Straker, recorded on to old audio tapes. You might think these tapes are a hoax. But perhaps they contain the history of a past world...If what the tapes say are true, it means that everything we think we know is a lie. And if everything we know is a lie does that mean that we are, too?

So, firstly I'd love to tell you why this book is clever, but that would spoil it. But keep that in mind. Its clever.

Secondly this is a complete story. It works well as a complete story. You only really need this one tale. BUT there is a sequel - 1.4 - and I for one am extremely pleased about that. Because its clever. And I'm thinking it might get even more so...we'll see. Fairly soon I imagine.

I very much enjoyed reading this, following Kyle's story as he gets caught up in extraordinary events with a strangely ordinary feel to them. This works brilliantly - its kind of matter of fact. Kyle has a story to tell and has found a way to tell it. And you will be right there. The next time you see something out of the corner of your eye you may wonder what it is that you saw..

I'm being vague. I know it. So how about this - do you like John Wyndham? If you do, you may appreciate 0.4. Now I'm sure that Mr Lancaster will not mind one bit if I say he's not up (yet) to the standards of Mr Wyndham's writing but while I was reading this I was nostalgic for those days when I emerged wide eyed from such novels as Chocky and The Midwich Cuckoo's, wondering if such things were possible. For today's generation of young readers this could fill a gap...and as an adult you will certainly appreciate the humerous asides about such things as the Teletubbies. This book is kind of like one of those movies you see with your children where its aimed at the younger audience and yet there is plenty there to appease the adult sensibilities.

All in all a great little read - and whilst I hope for more from this world I am equally intrigued with what other strange and wonderful imaginings the author may have in store for us.

Happy Reading Folks!