Lizzy11268

Liz Loves Books.Com.

The Chemist..

The Chemist - Stephenie Meyer Interesting. I liked it. So I'll be honest I'm not a huge fan of Stephenie Meyer's novels to date. I enjoy the Twilight movies but couldn't cope with the books, I did not get to the end of The Host but I was intrigued to see how she would tackle an adult novel and a thriller at that. Very well it turns out. The Chemist follows an oft done theme, shadowy government agent, on the run from nefarious employers who want to finish her off, maybe if she can pull off one last thing for them they'll leave her alone. Things go pear shaped as expected and off we go. But you know there is a reason why those who love thrillers love thrillers, come on we would ALL secretly like to be Jason Bourne. The thing that makes this a little different is in fact the chemistry angle. The main protagonist, Alex, is a scientist, a brilliant mind and if she wants answers from you you'll probably either give them to her or die. Plus she makes stuff that would make your hair curl. It was a fun and tingling read that evoked an awful lot of googling. So we get action and we get poison. And things. Alex is very well drawn. Cool, collected, intriguing, I wanted to go along with her and see where she ended up. I enjoyed the scientific angle muchly, the author also tells a very addictive and well flowing story and its not always entirely predictable. All good things. Ok so its not perfect. There has to be a romance right? Well that did not really ring true for me if I'm up front about it. I can't say why because I'll spoil it but Daniel (love interest) was just not my cup of tea. He had no edge and no interest for me. I believed that love affair not one iota. However that is entirely subjective and may be because personally I thought she was far more suited to an entirely different character. Or frankly nobody at all. Alex is a cold fish and she is that way for a reason. Her path back to humanity went way too fast. That is a small thing within the mostly great things though. The action was banging, the edge of seat moments made more so by the fact that you actually felt that not everyone would survive the journey - there were plenty of twists in the tale and overall I thought this was engaging, enjoyable, fun and fascinating. If you like a good thriller you will find a lot to like here.