Lizzy11268

Mississippi Blood
Greg Iles
bookbridgr.com

The Stepmother.

The Stepmother: A gripping psychological thriller with a killer twist - Claire Seeber

Really enjoyed The Stepmother – one of those books you read fast so you can find out what the heck is going on, with lots of lovely little twists and turns and some pretty creepy moments too (birds *shiver*) – really hits the spot for an afternoons reading in the sun. Or as we are in the UK the rain. Either way…

So Claire Seeber takes on the cliche of the Evil Stepmother and turns it a little on its head with what is basically a modern day reimagining  of Snow White if Snow White was likely slightly tainted, not quite so innocent and her Stepmother might not be so bad after all…or also could possibly be the b**** from hell. Or something. Very clever and very readable and a lot of fun.

Also though there is some real insight to be had here into the difficulties of integrating families post divorce – these days the family you start with might not be the family you end up with and even with the best intentions, human nature and emotion being what it is means that there is often a rocky road ahead and I ain’t talking about the ice cream. Whilst entertaining us with a banging good tale of mothers, daughters, husbands, sons and the witch like neighbour from down the way (no dwarves though I’m afraid) Claire Seeber manages to also weave into the narrative some definitive real life issues that a lot of people will recognise.

Overall it was pretty darn good. I had a good reading time with The Stepmother, it gave pause for thought whilst also being really entertaining and intriguing. Good finish too no disappointment.

Recommended for fans of the psychological thriller and possibly for fans of adult fairtytales with bite.