Lizzy11268

Callie Bates
Mississippi Blood
Greg Iles
bookbridgr.com

Jack Sparks. Or "How to scare the bejesus out of readers without mercy"

The Last Days of Jack Sparks - Jason Arnopp

Warning: It is entirely possible that while reading Jack Sparks you’ll metaphorically die of laughter. Or of fright. Or possibly a mixture of both. But it’ll be worth it. Also keep lots of coffee handy coz this one will keep you up all night. And I am talking AFTER you have read it..

Anyway to the point, I loved this. I read it in a day. Not even a day. A matter of hours. It is utterly gripping and darkly witty to the point that you will laugh out loud and scare anyone in your general vicinity but thats fine because whilst you are scaring THEM Jason Arnopp will be scaring YOU. Quietly and without warning. The Last Days of Jack Sparks creeps up on you. One minute you are giggling at Jack’s anecdotal witticisms then you suddenly realise its very quiet where you are right now…and what was that noise? Hang on it IS daylight right? (At this point switch all the lights on just in case it gets dark while you are busy being absorbed into this horrifically addictive world – don’t say I didn’t give you fair warning)

Reading this book is akin to being insanely tickled then randomly hit on the head with a blunt object. Repeatedly. One then the other. Over and over until you emerge, blinking, back into reality. This is reality right?

Yep thats how it gets you.

So the thing is you get a lot of bang for your buck with this story. Supernatural shenanigans. Many many surprises. A lot of laughs. Chapter six-six-six just made me giggle. That just before I was hit with another creepily insane moment. Descriptively this is gorgeous, the characters are vividly alive, even the dead ones, it rocks along to THE most terrifically and horrifically imaginative conclusion and whilst you know things are not going to turn out well for Jack the author still manages to keep you on a knifes edge. I’m actually *really* happy I don’t live inside Mr Arnopp’s head right now.

Or perhaps I do.

Perhaps we all do.

Gulp.

No no…don’t look behind you. Or down there. OR up there. Just be very still. All may still be well.

Creepily, stealthily, hilariously, inventively brilliant.

Highly Recommended.