Lizzy11268

Callie Bates
Mississippi Blood
Greg Iles
bookbridgr.com

Mockingbird Songs - Review.

Mockingbird Songs - R.J. Ellory

So another atmospheric, unrelenting but also gently flowing read from the pen of one of my favourite authors – another book from him that I just sat down and devoured. Honestly if ever there were books that should come with chocolate, it’s ones written by R J Ellory.

In Mockingbird Songs there is a definite correlation between the writing and the music – in fact the giveaway came with music attached in the form of Low Country and I’m almost as in love with those songs as I am with the book so atmospherically speaking this was a terrific overall experience for me.

On a more traditional book review note – the story was emotionally raw and very addictive, taking as it does the heart of a disturbing sibling relationship, adding in small town politics and power struggles and giving us a main protagonist in Henry that can view all this initially from a distance and take us with him into to the soul of the narrative.

As we jump between past and present, as Henry remains ever determined to deliver a letter he has been trusted with, the story unfolds at a pitch perfect pace, the characters grow and become real and there is a level of authenticity here that not many authors can pull off, no not many at all. Here is one of them.

The writing is beautiful and as always has a sharp literary edge – you really do just sink into that time and place and live every moment.  A snapshot of a different era, true noir written with a modern eye for detail – there is so much to love here I can’t even think how to describe it all so I won’t try I’ll just say Yep.

As never fails to happen I was an emotional wet heap by the time I got to the end – as I said recently to someone who will recognise themselves should they read this review – I prefer the soul shredders. This was one of those. Again.

Whilst “Candlemoth” I think will always remain my favourite Ellory novel for reasons that are purely personal, I would put Mockingbird Songs up there as another I shall return to several times. It just had that “something” – I think it was probably Henry if I’m honest – that means it will stay with me. Genuinely character driven, intriguing and always taking you inexorably towards a conclusion that hits hard for any number of reasons – this is another author I have made a lifetime commitment to.

Highly Recommended.