Lizzy11268

Greg Iles
bookbridgr.com

Night Owls Review

Night Owls - Jenn Bennett

Night Owls is a beautifully written love story with a strong contemporary feel and some gorgeous touches – especially in relation to the two main characters Jack and Bea – a pairing I fell for completely.

Now it’s true that I don’t really *do* romance – there has to be a lot more to it than that for me, in the case of “Night Owls” it was the graffiti artist aspect that drew me in originally, that plus the idea of a night bus and a relationship developing in the quiet early hours. Then I met Jack and Bea and suddenly I was a lover of all things romantic after all.

Having said that, this is so much more than a straight up teenage relationship story, there is an amazing depth of feeling to both our main protagonists, a story of life not just love, a brilliant snapshot of family ties and the things that drive us and inform our attitudes. As our two learn more about each other, and we see the secret feelings underneath the outer shell, it is absolutely compelling all the way through.

The author also has a classically deft touch when it comes to scene setting, San Francisco is not a city I know much about, but she brought it to vivid vervent life, almost a character in it’s own right and the perfect backdrop against which to set the very gripping narrative.

A modern fairytale if you like, Night Owls may well turn out to be one of my favourite reads of the year – witty, insightful, both funny and emotional, if you are going to get me reading stories of the heart then this is the way to do it.

Highly Recommended.