Lizzy11268

Callie Bates
Mississippi Blood
Greg Iles
bookbridgr.com

Tracer - Bloody Marvellous!

Tracer - Rob Boffard

Blimey. I say that when I read books like Tracer. It is so exciting you find yourself yelling out and occasionally tearing your hair out in clumps. Ok not literally but you FEEL like you are, I certainly came close.

Tracer is a fast paced thriller set in space. It has some brilliantly drawn characters, a beautifully imagined environment and will be the best fun you will have with a book all year. This was one of those reads that invoked a terrible annoyance in me every time I had to put it down. People all around me (you know, managerial types who expect me to actually work for a living) had to endure my glaring disapproval at the fact that they were taking me away from Riley and co. So the best advice I can offer with “Tracer” is to start it on a non working, nothing to do, nowhere to be day so you can avoid unneccessary disturbance.

Riley is a “Tracer” – a kind of messenger who transports things from one part of the station to the other. I imagine they took their inspiration from free runners – although you’d have to ask Mr Boffard – but that is the feeling they gave me, the descriptive style when talking about them brings that to mind. It is a dangerous job – and Riley is about to face more danger than most as she starts to uncover a conspiracy..

The writing packs punch, has a sharp ironic edge to it and a genuinely absorbing style – there are little nuances in the narrative that add to the picture in your head – good gosh and all that this will make a MOST terrific movie. Even the writing on the page comes to absolute life so goodness knows what a decent director could make of it.

Tracer has it all really – a most terrific moustache twirlingly good villain, an ensemble group of main protagonists with Riley taking point that you can really get behind (and do!), a really well constructed and beautifully twisted plot and the ability to make you tear your hair out. And round we go back to the start…

The action sequences (and there are a lot of them) are fast, furious and completely gripping, always believable within the context of the story and I loved the whole darn thing. Plus the ending. THE ENDING. Pfft. Just, you know, off to give the author a kick so he writes faster…He’s on his very own Liz countdown right now.

Every. Second. Counts.

Quite definitively Highly Recommended.