Lizzy11268

Callie Bates
Mississippi Blood
Greg Iles
bookbridgr.com

River of Souls Review. Thought I'd done this one already!

River of Souls (Alice Quentin) - Kate Rhodes

I’m a fan of the Alice Quentin books for sure – the first one started with a bang and they have steadily become more and more addictive – Now here we are at No 4 and this one was a doozy.

Jude was brutally attacked and left for dead – now hanging on, her mother asks Alice to take another look at the case. Before she can really get into it though another body turns up in horrifically similar circumstances. Are the cases tied together? Working once more with the police, Alice starts to delve deeper..

There are two things mainly about these novels that really appeal to me – first Alice herself, who has a great depth to her and is beautifully normal. Yes she has her ups and downs but for pure authenticity she is, for me, one of the top fictional female protagonists.

The other thing is the really gorgeous flow that Kate Rhodes manages to weave into the narrative. The very definition of addictive reading – River of Souls grips from the start, all the way through and then clings onto you for a fair while after you’ve finished it. I mean really, what more do you need from a book?

There is a lot of emotional resonance to these also which is very engaging and cleverly done to tug on the heartstrings on occasion – whilst then sending you off on a bit of an adrenalin rush when things hot up in whatever case Alice is involved in. In the case of this instalment I was on the edge of my seat at the end there – I was not QUITE sure what the outcome was going to be….Whether I heaved a sigh of relief or had a good cry you’ll have to read the book to find out.

Overall I loved this one – and the ones that went before it. They come highly recommended from me and I am very much looking forward to seeing what is next.

Pick up a copy, batten down the hatches and enter Alice’s world. You won’t be disappointed