Lizzy11268

Greg Iles
bookbridgr.com

Running Girl - Review

Running Girl - Simon Mason

Highly enjoyable YA crime fiction story to be had here – with a really most tremendous main protagonist in Garvie Smith and a brilliant foil in his Police Officer sidekick – ok so DI Singh defnitely wouldnt consider himself a sidekick – he’s the main man surely? A seriously good yin/yang relationship that brings this book an extra layer of ironic fun.

Garvie used to go out with Chloe – who was beautiful but not necessarily particularly nice – so when she is murdered he takes a vague interest. Well, he’s like a dog with a bone and ends up delving into the case and getting in Singh’s way – except really there is a very good chance he might crack it…

I loved the feel of this story – its kind of old school but with a modern twist – if I had to describe it I’d say it might be something that Agatha Christie may have written if she had written Young Adult books today. The mystery element is terrific with beautiful construction, some little twists and turns and an exciting resolution.

But what makes this is the characters for sure. Garvie is at turns hilarious and ironic, he’s so laid back he might fall over but when he’s obsessing about something that is it – his quite brilliant (if rather random) brain cells get ticking over and he see’s what others do not and ponders those things that seem illogical. Very Miss Marple. If Miss Marple was a grumpy teenager who didnt really do school.

Overall then really really terrific. I see from the back of the book that another Garvie/Singh adventure will be coming soon. That one is on my must read list. Super fun with an emotional punch, definitely highly recommended.