Lizzy11268

Radiant Angel Review

Radiant Angel - Nelson DeMille

Publication Date: May 26th From Grand Central Publishing

Source: Netgalley

“A soft breeze fluttered the white, blue, and red Russian flag in front of the U.N. mission. I remember when the Soviet hammer and sickle flew there. I kind of miss the Cold War. But I think it’s back.”

After a showdown with the notorious Yemeni terrorist known as The Panther, John Corey has left the Anti-Terrorist Task Force and returned home to New York City, taking a job with the Diplomatic Surveillance Group. Although Corey’s new assignment with the DSG-surveilling Russian diplomats working at the U.N. Mission-is thought to be “a quiet end,” he is more than happy to be out from under the thumb of the FBI and free from the bureaucracy of office life.

But Corey realizes something the U.S. government doesn’t: The all-too-real threat of a newly resurgent Russia.

Oh John Corey how I adore you.

Nelson De Mille writes extraordinarily accomplished thrillers every time and he has a plethora of great recurring characters to entice the readers in (John Sutter and Paul Brenner being two other faves of mine) but the John Corey series is the one that has a special place in my heart down solely to that character.

Each of the Corey books can be read as standalones but I would definitely recommend reading in order if at all possible due to the brilliant character development (or more perhaps that John stays beautifully the same while all others around him roll their eyes) and because his journey through various law enforcement agencies is really quite ironically witty and seeing it all pan out is one of the great joys of reading these novels. Plum Island is where you need to start…

In this instalment he is working on surveillance, keeping an eye on some suspicious Russian officials living in the US. However as anyone who reads these knows, John Corey lives life in the fast lane – wherever he goes trouble is sure to follow (a lot of it he gets into all by himself) and when he loses sight of one of his targets there is no way in heck he is going home until he tracks him down again. So begins a really tense and exciting adventure and this author being who he is, there is no guarantee of a win for the good guys.

The thing that makes this novel and the ones before it such scintillating reads is the exquisite mixture of thrills and laughs. John Corey has a disparaging wit that just makes you smile then the next moment he is all focus and action as the danger zone hits – you will hover between the edge of your seat and relaxing into a wry smile as he waxes lyrical over his own situation and personality. I love it – really really terrific reading.

If you like a wisecracking protagonist then John Corey is for you – if you like a well constructed and actually thrilling thriller then the situations he finds himself in are for you. If you like a good mix of characters all extremely well drawn, some peripheral, some who turn up often then you will love it.

Its not as if these are popcorn thrillers either – if you are looking for something a little deeper you will find that here as well – Nelson De Mille using his characters and settings to explore wider worldwide issues and certainly he brings a lot of emotional impact to his storytelling.

In Radiant Angel he uses two “scenes” if you like – following John Corey but then in parts following the Russians – this gives a stark and exciting edge to proceedings as the reader is allowed some insight into whether any of the actions John and his compatriots are taking are likely to be of any use. It adds to the drama and stimulus of the read perfectly. Really really gripping stuff.

Overall then, the author has hit the mark for me once again. Long live John Corey!

Happy Reading Folks!

*Note: UK Title may be different. I believe it will be “A Quiet End”