Lizzy11268

Greg Iles
bookbridgr.com

You, Me and Other People - Review

You, Me and Other People - Fionnuala Kearney

Publication Date:  18th June 2015 (Kindle version available now)

Source: Netgalley

THEY SAY EVERY FAMILY HAS SKELETONS IN THEIR CLOSET . . .
But what happens when you open the door and they won’t stop tumbling out?
For Adam and Beth the first secret wasn’t the last, it was just the beginning.

Wow I read this fast. Completely compelling from the very first page this is a beautifully written novel, an authentic and intriguing family drama that had me completely hooked.

It is about the breakdown of a marriage, the heartache and sometimes ultimate life affirmation this can bring, a story about how we can never really know each other. This one truly spoke to me – the couple in this tale have been together a long time, yet here they are in absolute crisis. Something I have been through myself recently, it touched a nerve but only in a good way – I related so much to Beth,especially as a lot of her thoughts and emotions so closely mirrored my own.

On the opposite side of that is Adam – a man who cheated on his wife not once but twice, the second time leading to their split. Nothing is ever as simple as that though,despite his actions I ended up feeling quite sympathetic towards him – the author does a really terrific job of delving beneath the surface of her characters, showing that in anything there are two sides to the story.

There is even more depth to it to be had in the form of Meg, their daughter, who is now grown but this does not lessen the impact that all this has on her. As more secrets begin to surface, it is utterly engaging and really gripping.

The best part is the emotional impact – you feel right alongside the characters in this novel, you may take sides but in the end we can really only ever be who we are – a truth that Fionnuala Kearney obviously knows for sure.

Beautifully done. Kudos.