Lizzy11268

Callie Bates
Mississippi Blood
Greg Iles
bookbridgr.com

The Stars Never Rise - Review.

The Stars Never Rise - Rachel Vincent

Publication Date: 18th June from Harlequin

Source: Netgalley

Sixteen-year-old Nina Kane should be worrying about her immortal soul, but she’s too busy trying to actually survive. Her town’s population has been decimated by soul-consuming demons, and souls are in short supply. Watching over her younger sister, Mellie, and scraping together food and money are all that matters. The two of them are a family. They gave up on their deadbeat mom a long time ago.

So this was right book right time for me, being as I am on a YA kick at the moment and it was totally brilliant, a little different to any I’ve read before and as addictive as chocolate.

We meet Nina, who lives in a world where one of the major worries is demonic possession. Yep – after a war with the Demons, society is now watched over and protected by The Church and its exorcists – Life under their rule is regulated and strict and not always pleasant, but needs must in order to protect humanity from the demon hoardes. Of course not everything is on the up and up as Nina starts to discover..

I adored this – a completely mad adrenalin rush of a story that gets you hooked right in, no waiting around. Plenty of action, a touch of romance (you’ve GOT to have a touch of romance and this one is particularly intriguing for reasons I obviously won’t go into) some terrifically drawn characters and a main protagonist in Nina who is pretty brave, easy to like and has a whole heck of a lot of problems thrown at her in very short order.

Descriptively speaking this is gorgeous – the fight scenes are particularly excellent hence the adrenalin rush but the author also manages to temper this with some clever character development and throws in a few surprises for good measure along the way.

Some of it is horrific in its concept, some scenes are quite distressing, but only in so far as is required to move the tale along and really get the reader thinking about some of the issues our characters are facing. In this it is intelligently constructed and packs a real emotional punch.

Overall a decidedly accomplished and exquisite piece of Young Adult fiction. Atmospheric and thrilling, with an ending that will make you willing to sell your soul for the next instalment, this comes highly recommended from me for fans of YA whatever your age.

Happy Reading Folks!