Lizzy11268

The Invisible Guardian - Review

The Invisible Guardian - Dolores Redondo

Publication Date: Available now

Source: Publisher review copy

A killer at large in a remote Basque Country valley , a detective to rival Clarice Starling, myth versus reality, masterful storytelling – the Spanish bestseller that has taken Europe by storm.
The naked body of a teenage girl is found on the banks of the River Baztán. Less than 24 hours after this discovery, a link is made to the murder of another girl the month before. Is this the work of a ritualistic killer or of the Invisible Guardian, the Basajaun, a creature of Basque mythology?

This was quite an intriguing read – the first in a series featuring Inspector Amaia Salazar, beautifully translated and a great piece of Crime Fiction.

My favourite thing about it was the mythology aspect – exploring local customs and legends in an area that I know very little about – I always find it fascinating when reading a novel set in a different culture and the author brings this to life in a really terrific way. There is also a historical element that was highly engaging.

As far as the police procedural element goes, it is fairly standard stuff, still extremely readable and if you are a lover of Crime Fiction this will hit the mark in a lot of ways. Salazar is very well drawn – another aspect of this I liked was the way the author filled in her background, fleshing her out in a way that gets the reader caught up in her world. Compelling and often dark, there is a lot to appeal here.

Overall then a good solid crime read, one that I would recommend. Certainly it is a series I shall be following along with.

Many thanks to the lovely crew at Killer Reads for sending me a copy of this novel – another huge plus for book collectors and hoarders such as I am is that it is a beautiful hardback with a stunning cover.

Happy Reading Folks!