Lizzy11268

bookbridgr.com

Shift - Review

Shift - Em Bailey

**Source: Purchased Copy**

Olive Corbett is not crazy. Not anymore.

She obediently takes her meds and stays under the radar at school. After “the incident,” Olive just wants to avoid any more trouble, so she knows the smartest thing is to stay clear of the new girl who is rumored to have quite the creepy past.

But there’s no avoiding Miranda Vaile.

Hmm. TOTALLY not what I was expecting. Although now to be fair I'm not sure WHAT I was expecting. The reason for the 3* rating is that to me it feels like a fair one. Some parts of this book for me were facepalm 1* and some parts of this for me were sheer brilliance 5*

Nothing like sitting on the fence...

Anyway on the plus side I read this cover to cover in one sitting, it is an addictive tale and one that has many surprises. The main story revolves around Olive, who is recovering from a breakdown. She has dumped her "popular girl" friends and hangs around with Ami, a girl who understands her. Then Miranda arrives, mysterious Miranda who it is claimed murdered her own parents. Thereafter I'm not really sure what was happening a lot of the time if I'm honest. But whatever it was it was strangely compelling.

There is a beautifully constructed little twist in the tale that had me full of admiration. Olive as a character appealed to me because she was an odd one and I found it tough to get a handle on her. Love interest Lachlan was a bit up and down, but anchored the two parts of this story (mental illness v bullying I guess) well.

What I didnt like so much was some of the blatantly stupid actions that Olive took, especially towards the end of the novel. Mostly this is a terrific mix of horror and psychological thriller but you know, the age we live in EVERYONE knows the rules right? Those old horror movie rules. Olive herself at one point makes the observation to herself that this was the part in a movie where everyone would be yelling at her "DON'T DO IT" Yes. Indeed. So why did she then? A little forced in order to move the story along to the ultimate conclusion I guess but to me felt a little lazy.

The end as well was enigmatic, not fully satisfying for this reader,a bit passive aggressive.

Overall though I really enjoyed it to be fair because despite the faults it really is a right old page turner. I really really did not want to stop until I got to the resolution. Even if that resolution was a little not to my personal liking, the journey ultimately was worth it. For the twisty goodness and those 5* sheer creepy brilliant moments.

Happy Reading Folks!