Lizzy11268

The Vanishing Witch - Review

The Vanishing Witch - Karen Maitland

Publication Date: Available Now from Headline

Source: Bookbridgr

The reign of Richard II is troubled, the poor are about to become poorer still and landowners are lining their pockets. It’s a case of every man for himself, whatever his status or wealth. But in a world where nothing can be taken at face value, who can you trust? The dour wool merchant? His impulsive son? The stepdaughter with the hypnotic eyes? Or the raven-haired widow clutching her necklace of bloodstones?

This one I requested via Bookbridgr because all the people I trust in the reading world were raving about it – it is my first novel from Karen Maitland and certainly not my last – whilst it would not normally be within my “comfort” zone, historical fiction not being my first choice, the witchcraft aspect pulled me in and I really really enjoyed it.

There is a beautiful mix of magic and mundane here as we follow Robert, who’s wife Edith is very ill. Enter into the mix an attractive widow, throw in some exceptional circumstances and a hint of nefarious doings and you have a tremendously wonderful story that keeps you turning the pages wondering what on earth is going on.

The historical element is terrific – authentic feeling and clever, the normal extremely difficult day to day lives mixing up with the supernatural elements really really well, I was just utterly enthralled throughout. I especially loved the little “Witch” facts at the beginning of each chapter, if I’m ever concerned about being cursed I think I shall return to this book for hints and tips. :)

Karen Maitland has spun a terrific yarn here – addictive writing and a haunting and wonderful sense of place and time, I am not sure why I have not read her before. My latest book buying spree will sort that out quick smart.

Highly Recommended.