Lizzy11268

The Good Girl - Review.

The Good Girl - Fiona Neill

Publication Date: Available Now from Penguin Uk – Michael Joseph

Source: Netgalley

Fallen in love?  Trusted a stranger? So when Jay tells Romy his darkest secret, she only wants to help.
Destroyed your family? But Romy’s actions could be the catalyst that tears her world apart…

An interesting and intriguing read for me this one – especially since I have been the mother of a teenage girl, with all the highs and lows that can bring so could relate in a lot of ways to what Ailsa and Romy go through in this story.

Romy is “The Good Girl” – never having given her parents a moment of worry, the one they rely on to be self sufficient, ever practical and not really requiring much parenting – leaving them to focus on their other children (who are not quite so easy) and themselves as they go through a marriage crisis. Romy however is about to take a wrong step, forcing everyone to reconsider their own actions and attitudes.

There are several layers to the story, all of which are compelling – told in alternate parts by Ailsa and Romy, we start with the news that Romy is in trouble then find out what has led up to it. Beautifully written with two very distinct voices in Ailsa and Romy but with those little subtle “tells” that clarify the mother/daughter relationship, it was very addictive reading, knowing what is coming and simply wishing you could stop it.

Fiona Neill takes an unrelenting look at social media and how it can explode a life, at the same time she gives us a very authentic family drama with some complex interpersonal relationships. Some great characters in here, I imagine everyone will relate to someone and as the story ebbs and flows and external influences take their toll on Romy during her delicate coming of age, it will completely grip you.

Dad Harry was a great character, being a scientist there is a lot of pretty cool information on the brain, how it works, especially when it comes to teenage thought processes – it was an interesting thread running through the narrative that gave it a solid background. Youngest son Ben was gorgeous – I totally fell in love with him, Luke the elder brother was brilliantly normal in many ways and wait until you meet the neighbours!

Overall I thought this was a terrific read – some important issues raised for sure, entertaining in both an informative and often very emotional way, it had a lovely depth to it, great writing, great storytelling and overall one that I would definitely recommend.

Happy Reading Folks!