Lizzy11268

Greg Iles
bookbridgr.com

Silent Saturday Review.

Silent Saturday - Helen Grant

Publication date: Available Now from Corgi Childrens.

Source: Purchased Copy

Seventeen-year-old Veerle is bored with life in suburban Brussels. But a chance encounter with a hidden society, whose members illegally break into unoccupied buildings around the city, soon opens up a whole new world of excitement – and danger.
When one of the society’s founding members disappears, Veerle suspects foul play. But nothing can prepare her for the horror that is about to unfold when an old foe emerges from the shadows… No one is safe, and The Hunter will strike again..

First of all huge thanks to author Jane Casey for recommending this one to me when I was looking for my next YA read, it was a superb psychological thriller with some brilliantly drawn characters and a really creepy plot.

Veerle observes something horrific when she is young but forgets all about it, years later she once again meets up with Kris, the same boy who was with her all those years ago. Now grown and on the cusp of adulthood she joins a secret group that he is a part of, they visit empty and abandoned houses for fun. But someone is stalking them – and the past is about to come back to haunt Veerle.

This was beautifully written, absolutely compelling and true storytelling genius, with an intelligent and addictive plot – a thriller that does not compromise on character in order to keep the pace.

One of the strongest parts of the story was the intense and complicated relationship between Veerle and her mother Claudine – Claudine is the very definition of an over protective parent and obviously suffers from mental health issues. Verle’s attempts to live a normal teenage life whilst dealing with a great deal of stress at home gives the whole novel an added frisson. Really remarkable for a story which at its heart is a heady mix of thriller, horror and crime.

Very dark and descriptive prose, a terrific setting and a real sense of menace throughout makes for a great reading experience. At turns frightening, at others highly emotional, the story twists and turns its way to a breathtaking conclusion. Pacy yet with great depth, I would highly recommend this, not only to fans of the Young Adult genre but to fans of psychological thrillers in general. Easily accessible for both teenagers and adults alike, this is exquisitely constructed and packs one heck of a punch. Books 2 and 3 in the trilogy await me – watch this space!

Happy Reading Folks!