Lizzy11268

Callie Bates
Mississippi Blood
Greg Iles
bookbridgr.com

Behind Closed Doors - Review.

Behind Closed Doors - Elizabeth Haynes

Publication Date: Available Now from Sphere.

Source: Purchased Copy

Ten years ago, fourteen-year-old Scarlett Rainsford vanished without a trace during a family holiday to Greece. Not being able to find Scarlett was one of the biggest regrets of DCI Louisa Smith's career and when Scarlett is discovered back in her home town after all this time, Lou is determined to find out what happened to her and why she remained hidden for so long. Was she abducted or did she run away?
As Lou and her team delve deeper into Scarlett's past, their investigation throws up more questions than it answers. But as they edge closer to the truth about what really went on behind closed doors, it is more sinister and disturbing than they had ever imagined.

So the second book in the "Louisa Smith" series and with this one, the character and the series comes into its own. The introduction (Under a Silent Moon) was a clever take on the Police Procedural, intelligently  done and highly absorbing. With "Behind Closed Doors" Ms Haynes as taken it to the next level - a darker tale for sure, some emotional themes exploring a side of humanity we rather wish didnt exist, with another cast of superbly creative characters that keep you turning the pages.

When Scarlett went missing, Louisa was part of the team and the fact that she was never found has haunted her. Now however, Scarlett has turned up - what happened to her and why forms the main part of the novel and it is fascinating, disturbing and highly addictive stuff.

On top of that we learn more about Louisa and what makes her tick - leading on nicely from what we knew of her in "Moon"  - she has a beautifully drawn emotive edge to her, her relationships and friendships are all intriguing and full of great depth so you really get a feel for her and her reactions to events around her.

It is difficult reading at times, covering as it does human trafficking and abuse, but it is highly authentic and absolutely believable - Elizabeth Haynes manages to keep a realistic slant to the tale even as she throws in some elegant little twists and turns to keep you on your toes. Scarlett is a captivating and thought provoking character, even now I've finished the story I'm still not sure what I think of her and some of the decisions she made. For a story to give you pause for thought and at the same time entertain you thoroughly this is spot on.

Overall then a gorgeously written slightly different slant for the Crime Fiction genre, a mix up of very interesting police procedural and character driven drama that comes highly recommended from me.

Happy Reading Folks!