Lizzy11268

Callie Bates
Mississippi Blood
Greg Iles
bookbridgr.com

Pretty Thing by Jennifer Nadel - Review.

Pretty Thing - Jennifer Nadel

Publication Date: Available Now from Corsair.

Source: Publisher Review Copy

When fifteen-year-old Becs meets Bracken, she is convinced she’s found her soul mate. So what if he’s much older? He understands her, she feels free with him and when he holds her she feels safe. But is she? Some young women in the local area have recently been sexually assaulted. It’s the talk of the school. And when Bec’s best friend Mary-Jane becomes the latest victim, the true dangers hit home: just as Becs is starting to wonder about her future with Bracken – poor M-J rapidly shrinks away from life. . .

This was a beautifully evocative story, quite heart wrenching but so atmospheric and with an authentic sense of place, I was left feeling vaguely melancholy at the end.

We meet Becs – Becs is a child of the 70’s, she and best friend MJ roam their world fairly carefree. Then Becs meets Bracken, he is older and intriguing and she falls in love. Meanwhile MJ experiences a traumatic assault and begins to withdraw from her life.

It is quite difficult to capture the ambience of this novel in a review – it is elegantly written and the characters are brought to vivid life. Becs is a typical teenager, coming of age and to an awakening of her emotions, led towards adulthood possibly way too early by her interaction and relationship with Bracken. This has the added affect that she misses how unwell and deeply disturbed MJ is becoming – the friendship falters just at the time that it is most needed.

This flows beautifully, it pretty much has its own soundtrack, the musical memories interwoven into the plot giving it that added frission, the setting is beautifully described and realistically drawn. Set against this backdrop is a tale of friendship, love and growing up, the decisions we make that can define us and the true nature of hindsight. The very definition of a  coming of age tale, I would highly recommend this.

Happy Reading Folks!