Lizzy11268

Callie Bates
Mississippi Blood
Greg Iles
bookbridgr.com

The Returned Seth Patrick - Review.

The Returned - Seth Patrick

Publication Date: 7th April 2015 from Sourcebooks

Source: Netgalley

In an Alpine town reeling from a devastating accident, the families of dead wish their lost loved ones could come back…only to wake up one day to the chilling reality of their prayers being answered. But the victims of the accident are not the only ones to have returned from the dead. Their arrival coincides with a series of grizzly murders which bear a chilling resemblance to the work of a serial killer from the past…

I had a love/hate relationship with this novel – extremely well written and most definitely addictive, I have not seen the tv show but am now very tempted to take a look.

Some huge plus points – the writing style has such a flow to it that it pulls you right into the story, into the lives of these people who are suddenly facing the very real consequence of “Be careful what you wish for”. I could barely put it down as I watched the aftermath of the dead returning, the joy and the disbelief and the very chilling events that follow..

The prose does have a very “screenplay” feel, which works extremely well, yet does not lose any sense of character in order to thrill – the heart of the story is in the emotional side of things, with the mystery and also horror elements woven around that in a great way. Overall then a really good, thought provoking read.

My one little bugbear was that after a terrific build up, a real sense of anticipation, the ending felt to me a little rushed and was definitely unsatisfying. Having said that I’m fairly sure there is more to come. I’m unsure whether there is more than one season of the visual version, but if that ended as this did I truly hope so. And I hope that there will be another instalment from Seth Patrick, – he has given us a page turner with heart and soul and I would love to know what happens next.

Recommended