Lizzy11268

Callie Bates
Mississippi Blood
Greg Iles
bookbridgr.com

Disturbed Earth - Review.

Ritual Crime Unit: Disturbed Earth - E E Richardson

Publication Date: 7th April 2015 from Abaddon

Source: Netgalley

A hard-nosed career officer in the male-dominated world of British policing, DCI Claire Pierce of North Yorkshire Police heads Northern England’s underfunded and understaffed Ritual Crime Unit. Injured in the line of duty, Pierce returns to work to find her new Detective Inspector has brought in a self-proclaimed necromancer to question the victim of a murder, there’s a coven of druids outside protesting the sale of their sacred site, and an old iron lantern in the evidence room has just sent out a signal.

I thoroughly enjoyed this – read it in a couple of sittings, scared myself sometimes whilst doing so (ok possibly don’t read this after midnight when you are the only one in the house) but mostly found it to be a fun, imaginative and adventurous novel that is set firmly in a realistically unrealistic world.

Claire Pierce was a terrific character – I especially loved that she was older, with an often grumpy yet logical head on her shoulders, who traverses the mans world in which she works with the grace and…well ok then, like a bull in a china shop she just rides roughshod over any hints of misogyny and manages to smile (sweetly?) whilst doing so. Adored her. The “cast” interactions are often funny, definitely upon occasion ironically witty, with Claire sitting as a firm anchor to the rest and to their environment.

The world mirrors our own apart from the magical element, but the writing is so clear and clever that within a few pages you’ll feel right at home – in fact the supernatural side is so well embedded in that you barely realise this is fantasy – it could also quite easily be a gritty police prodecural and indeed does have that feel to it throughout. A wonderful mix of magic, mayhem and mystery that will grip you quickly and keep you reading well into the early hours (just remember what I said about after Midnight!)

Overall  terrifically readable urban fantasy come crime fiction for adults – recommended for fans of the mystical macabre.

Happy Reading Folks!