Lizzy11268

Greg Iles
bookbridgr.com

The Book of Speculation: Review

The Book of Speculation - Erika Swyler

Publication Date: 23rd June 2015 from St Martins Press.

Source: Netgalley

Simon Watson, a young librarian on the verge of losing his job, lives alone on the Long Island Sound in his family home, a house perched on the edge of a bluff that is slowly crumbling toward the sea. His parents are long dead, his mother having drowned in the water his house overlooks. His younger sister, Enola, works for a traveling carnival reading tarot cards and seldom calls.
On a day in late June, Simon receives a mysterious package from an antiquarian bookseller. The book tells the story of Amos and Evangeline, doomed lovers who lived and worked in a traveling circus more than two hundred years ago.

This was a beautiful read (fans of The Night Circus might want to check it out!) that hooked me right from the start and honestly I was totally in this world throughout the read, so wonderfully does it flow.

Shifting time between Simon Watson, a young man who receives a mysterious book, and the story of the people within that book, this is gorgeously constructed with some lovely prose and a completely fascinating story. Quite difficult to review honestly as it is one of those novels that you would not want to spoil for others. But if you like past/present impact stories, family drama and truly remarkable characters then you will LOVE this, I have no doubt.

The historical flavour in “The Book of Speculation” is marvellous – the world of the travelling circus comes magically to life, the carnie folk authentically drawn and absolutely compelling. In the other portion, Simon is a perfect protagonist to anchor the story and there are some surprises to be had along the way, all done with complete flair and an obvious fascination with the subject matter from the author.

I think I will leave it there for now – when we are nearer to publication date I shall revisit my feelings on this one and write a fuller review – it is definitely going to be one of my favourite reads of the year despite it being only March and it definitely comes Highly Recommended from me.

Happy Reading Folks!