Lizzy11268

Greg Iles
bookbridgr.com

Sweet Nothing - Review

Sweet Nothing: Stories - Richard Lange

Publication Date: Available Now from Mulholland Books.

Source: Bookbridgr

These are edge-of-your-seat tales: A prison guard must protect an inmate being tried for heinous crimes. A father and son set out to rescue a young couple trapped during a wildfire. An ex-con trying to make good as a security guard stumbles onto a burglary plot. A young father must submit to blackmail to protect the fragile life he’s built.

One of my New Year Resolutions this year was to return to my once avid love of short stories – this seemed like a good place to begin and I’d say that was a brilliant choice on my part. Hey modesty ain’t my thing.

Every  story to be found in this collection is, without exception, absolutely compelling and beautifully written…the book travelled around with me and every time there was coffee there was a story.  They all have a dark side, a deliciously enticing yet grounded prose that draws you into the lives of a bunch of eclectic people and situations and gives you a snapshot of a particular moment that changes them.

I loved them all, would not give anything away by describing each one in detail, but have to give an honourable mention to “Sweet Nothing” and “Must Come Down” my favouritesof the bunch. There is a whole lot of heart here, quite a bit of soul and they will give you pause for thought on many occasions as some of the characters you meet make decisions you want to yell at them for. I DID yell at them sometimes. It will suck you in.

Terrific stuff. Really captivating. Lets have some more please.

Happy Reading Folks!