Lizzy11268

Mississippi Blood
Greg Iles
bookbridgr.com

Silent Scream - Review.

Silent Scream: An edge of your seat serial killer thriller (Detective Kim Stone crime thriller series Book 1) - Angela Marsons

Publication Date: 20th Feb 2015 from Bookouture

Source: Netgalley

Five figures gather round a shallow grave. They had all taken turns to dig. An adult-sized hole would have taken longer. An innocent life had been taken but the pact had been made. Their secrets would be buried, bound in blood …
Years later, a headmistress is found brutally strangled, the first in a spate of gruesome murders which shock the Black Country.
But when human remains are discovered at a former children’s home, disturbing secrets are also unearthed. D.I. Kim Stone fast realises she’s on the hunt for a twisted individual whose killing spree spans decades.

So these days one of my very favourite things to do is try out new Crime fiction. I especially like it if it is the start of a series. And I like it even MORE when you get one as good as this and know that you will probably have many happy reading experiences ahead of you.

In “Silent Scream” we meet Kim, Detective and a bit of a loner, for good reason. She is a brilliant character, flawed as it seems detectives need to be but in a way that makes her very intriguing. When a brutal murder is discovered she finds herself caught up in a case that has its roots in the past and uncovers a killer who has remained hidden for decades.

The main thing for me, with crime fiction, especially when it is a series, is that our main “core” characters are both interesting enough that you want them to appear in further novels, but enough in the background that the story is not all about them. The yin/yang of detective fiction if you like and Angela Marsons has pulled this off extremely well. Kim and her team are all a terrific mix, we learn plenty about them but not too much and there is huge potential for the future. So that is a real plus.

The second thing of course is that the mystery element is intelligent, addictive and well flowing, with enough twists and turns to make it thrilling – again this is done extremely well here, it is a very dark tale at its heart and is highly addictive. It also has an emotionally resonant core that is extremely compelling.

Overall a really really good addition to the Crime fiction genre, I look forward to seeing what is next for Kim and co.

Happy Reading Folks!