Lizzy11268

Greg Iles
bookbridgr.com

The Enchanted - Review

The Enchanted  - Rene Denfeld

Publication Date: March 12th 2015 From W&N Orion Publishing Group.

Source: Netgalley

Even monsters need peace. Even monsters need a person who truly wants to listen – to hear – so that someday we might find the words that are more than boxes. Then maybe we can stop men like me from happening…  A prisoner sits on death row in a maximum security prison. His only escape from his harsh existence is through the words he dreams about, the world he conjures around him using the power of language. For the reality of his world is brutal and stark. He is not named, nor do we know his crime. But he listens. He listens to the story of York, the prisoner in the cell next to him whose execution date has been set. He hears the lady, an investigator who is piecing together York’s past. He watches as the lady falls in love with the priest and wonders if love is still possible here. He sees the corruption and the danger as tensions in ‘this enchanted place’ build. And he waits. For even monsters have a story…

I had to ponder for a while before writing this review because although I read this book in one sitting I was not immediately sure whether or not I liked it or loved it. Ultimately I think it falls somewhere inbetween…

Beautifully written, it is the tale of a Prison. One prisoner on death row watching and listening to all that goes on around him, as the story of another prisoner unfolds. He see’s magic within, despite the circumstances…

It was kind of a strange read. As I said, even now I’m not sure entirely what I thought of it. Poetic prose and a gently addictive flow to it makes you keep reading on, mostly in my case to find out what happens between the lady and the Priest. It read more like a fairytale than anything else, the premise has such a dark heart, yet it is also the tale of some very disturbed individuals.

It definitely sucks you into another world for the duration of the story, it is the kind of tale you imagine being told around a campfire, this is not a long read and certainly not a perfect one but it has that hint of something special that really appealed to me.

A very very hard novel to review. Overall I would recommend giving it a go and seeing what you think.

Happy Reading Folks!