Lizzy11268

Callie Bates
Mississippi Blood
Greg Iles
bookbridgr.com

Touch by Claire North - Review.

Touch - Claire North

Publication Date: 26th Feb 2015 from Little Brown.

Source: Netgalley

Kepler had never meant to die this way — viciously beaten to death by a stinking vagrant in a dark back alley. But when reaching out to the murderer for salvation in those last dying moments, a sudden switch takes place.
Now Kepler is looking out through the eyes of the killer himself, staring down at a broken and ruined body lying in the dirt of the alley.
Instead of dying, Kepler has gained the ability to roam from one body to another, to jump into another person’s skin and see through their eyes, live their life — be it for a few minutes, a few months or a lifetime.
Kepler means these host bodies no harm — and even comes to cherish them intimately like lovers. But when one host, Josephine Cebula, is brutally assassinated, Kepler embarks on a mission to seek the truth — and avenge Josephine’s death.

Really really great book is what I’m going to say first. Definitely going on my favourites list, innovative in style and story, I was absolutely buried in this one from first page to last.  Kepler is a truly fascinating character(s?) who you will come to love, or maybe not so much, we’ll see – either way you won’t be able to help following this tale all the way to the rather brilliant conclusion.

It is a very interesting concept – leaping from person to person, taking over their lives for a minute or for years, not having a body,  but able to co-opt that of others and use it as your own. Kepler in a lot of ways leads a very lonely “life” but even so it is an eclectic and endlessly fascinating one. As we find out more about his  (her?) past it is terrifically engaging and often somewhat sad. Claire North writes with a wonderfully touching style that is almost matter of fact but gets across a real sense of feeling and emotion.

On top of that there is a great “thriller” aspect to this story – as Kepler comes under threat there are some heart stopping moments –  Add to the mix other great characters, some like Kepler, some solidly and often scarily human and you have one heck of a good yarn. I will not say more – this is a book to dive into head first and enjoy every second of.

I like a novel that pushes the boundaries – Claire North does that here in a captivating way, with a cutting edge writing style and a truly remarkable protagonist and as such this gets a Highly Recommended from me.

Never have I been so pleased that I missed out on a debut – this is Claire’s second novel, her first, “The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August” somehow managed to pass me by but I have it on my shelf now and I’m dying to get to it – if it is anything close to as good as “Touch” I am in for a treat.

Happy Reading Folks!