Lizzy11268

Greg Iles
bookbridgr.com

Seeker - Review.

Seeker - Arwen Elys Dayton

Publication Date: Feb 12th 2015 from Corgi Childrens.

Source: Netgalley

The night Quin Kincaid takes her Oath, she will become what she has trained to be her entire life. She will become a Seeker. This is her legacy, and it is an honor. As a Seeker, Quin will fight beside her two closest companions, Shinobu and John, to protect the weak and the wronged. Together they will stand for light in a shadowy world. And she'll be with the boy she loves--who's also her best friend.

A pleasant and enjoyable read, but it does take a while to get going and I felt that the background could have had a little more depth to it overall, something I hope will happen in Book 2 which I do intend to read. The world building is intriguing, especially the locations but the reasoning behind things is a little unclear.

Quin is an interesting character, I liked how the author blurs the lines between good and evil - I sympathised more with others than I did with Quin - I thought however that the character arcs and interacting stories were done very well, better than the background which was murky at best. Things are not terribly well explained, left a lot unanswered, and the reader is left to infer things rather than know things, there are missing pieces of the puzzle and it is occasionally a little disjointed.

In a way I think this is very much a "scene setting" book - one that will then lead on to more real depth of mythology and of storyline. There is a spark of something excellent here but if I had to describe it I would say it read as one long prologue. This is not necessarily a bad thing, certainly I want to read the next novel in the series, my main feeling on this one is that it is well written but has some distinctive plot holes that occasionally left me floundering.

Happy Reading Folks!