Lizzy11268

Callie Bates
Mississippi Blood
Greg Iles
bookbridgr.com

Die Again by Tess Gerritsen - Review.

Die Again - Tess Gerritsen

Publication Date: 1st January 2015

Source: Netgalley

A taxidermist has been found hanging from a tree, gutted like one of the animals he hunts. When the remains of another victim are found, Detective Jane Rizzoli and Forensic Pathologist Maura Isles realise this is a murderer who has been at work for years. And that Boston is not his only hunting ground . . .

I’ve been a fan of the Rizzoli and Isles series since the start, have never missed one and I look forward to each new instalment with a great deal of anticipation – in the case of “Die Again” I have to say I honestly believe it is my favourite one so far. Rather than stagnate this series just gets better and better with every tale told.

In this case we have two strands running through the narrative – in Boston, Jane and Maura begin to investigate murder most horrid as a well known taxidermist has been given a taste of his own medicine – meanwhile in Africa,  Millie Jacobson is supposed to be on the trip of a lifetime, but things take a sinister turn. As the two threads come together this is a highly addictive and utterly compelling tale, one that had me gripped throughout.

Tess Gerritsen writes so beautifully and Rizzoli, Isles and their close ones are like old friends to me now so it is so easy to get right back into their world. I would definitely recommend you read from the start as their ebbing and flowing relationships and lives are a huge part of what makes this so terrifically readable. With Die Again, for me, the whole thing went up a notch, possibly because I loved Millie as a character and her story was utterly fascinating. The portions set in Africa are so well described, the sense of place is stunning and it just added to the ambience so well.

The mystery element is brilliantly imagined, I still think Maura Isles is one of the best female characters ever created in Crime Fiction, so beautifully flawed yet absolutely loveable. The scenes with her and an unwanted houseguest in the shape of a cat made me smile and gave some light relief to the darker moments – and there were some dark moments indeed. Ms Gerritsen does not pull punches with her prose, so authentic and believable that you will definitely have the odd shiver.

Overall then a most terrific additon to this long running series – long may it continue if this is the standard we are to expect.

Highly Recommended.