Lizzy11268

Callie Bates
Mississippi Blood
Greg Iles
bookbridgr.com

The Boy in the Shadows - Review.

The Boy in the Shadows - Carl-Johan Vallgren

Publication Date: 29th January 2015 from Quercus

Source: Publisher Review Copy

In an overcrowded Stockholm underground station a father and his two boys are late for their train. Joel, the youngest, is howling in his pushchair and his seven-year-old brother, Kristoffer, refuses to take the lift.
A woman approaches and offers to lead Kristoffer up the stairs. Reluctantly his father agrees, but when he arrives on the platform Kristoffer and the woman have vanished without a trace.
Many years later, Joel, now an adult, goes missing in suspicious circumstances. His wife turns to Danny Katz - an old friend - for help. But Katz isn't the only one trying to find Joel, and the deeper he digs the more secrets he uncovers about the wealthy and powerful family at the heart of the investigation. Then suddenly, the case takes a dramatic new turn.

An absolutely brilliant debut this one - eminently readable, SO addictive with such a great flow to it and some often unexpected turns, this is definitely one to watch out for in the New Year - most especially if you are a Crime Fiction fan.

It starts with a disappearance and tells the tale of a family with a haunted past - enter Danny Katz, a man with more to him than meets the eye, and a rip roaring, thrilling, often emotional and terribly compelling tale unravels with some beautiful writing, wonderful characters and a truly involving mystery.

This is one of those novels where you will fall for the main protagonist and therefore be emotionally involved all the way - there are some emotive themes covered here anyway, but the author has managed to weave the sentiment into the thrill of the plot effortlessly, it is both exciting and compelling whilst being heartfelt and thought provoking. The mystery element is so well drawn, the story really does twist and turn beautifully keeping you on your toes and making for a rollercoaster ride of a read.

I don't want to give anything away, but by the end of this I was happily realising that here is yet another series (I assume and hope) that will be right at the top of my must read list in the future. I'm getting to read some wonderful translated fiction and this was one of my favourites of the year.

Overall an amazingly good debut and I imagine things can only get better. Don't miss it!

Find out more here: http://vallgren.nu/

Pre-Order information: http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/carl-johan+vallgren/rachel+wilson-broyles/the+boy+in+the+shadows/11312252/

Happy Reading Folks!