Lizzy11268

Callie Bates
Mississippi Blood
Greg Iles
bookbridgr.com

A Killing Winter by Tom Callaghan - Review.

A Killing Winter - Tom Callaghan

Publication Date: Feb 26th 2015 from Quercus.

Source: Publisher review copy.

‘The Kyrgyz winter reminds us that the past is never dead, simply waiting to ambush us around the next corner’.
When Inspector Akyl Borubaev of Bishkek Murder Squad arrives at the brutal murder scene of a young woman, all evidence hints at a sadistic serial killer on the hunt for more prey.
But when the young woman’s father turns out to be a leading government minister, the pressure is on Borubaev to solve the case not only quickly but also quietly, by any means possible. Until more bodies are found…
Still in mourning after his wife’s recent death, Borubaev descends into Bishkek’s brutal underworld, a place where no-one and nothing is as it seems, where everyone is playing for the highest stakes, and where violence is the only solution.

So firstly I should probably tell you that this book will make you shiver. Not ONLY because it is an amazingly intense and evocative crime thriller but because it has such wonderfully descriptive prose that you may actually start feeling as if you are in the middle of Winter…

I love dark novels like this one – yes it is violent but then we live in a violent society, no use ignoring it and hoping it will go away – which is precisely what Akyl Borubaev refuses to do when all around him seem determined to prevaricate and point him in all sorts of wrong directions. A young woman is dead and in a most horrific way, the politics of the region are eclectic and danger lurks around every corner – Tom Callaghan paints us a dark and disturbing picture of life on the edge and for me it was endlessly compelling and absolutely fascinating.

It has an almost “noir” feel about it, there are moments of thrilling anticipation and quieter more reflective moments, alongside an intriguing mystery and a snapshot of a different place where hardship is the norm and life is cheap. The cast of characters are all amazingly well drawn and it is an extremely addictive read – scary in places, downright emotional in others and overall I thought it was terribly terrific.

Well paced, beautifully written and a stonking good story to boot, you can’t go wrong really. Highly Recommended.

Happy Reading Folks!