Lizzy11268

Greg Iles
bookbridgr.com

Unborn - Review.

Unborn - Amber Lynn Natusch

Publication Date: Available Now from 47North.

Source: Purchased copy for Kindle.

Khara has spent centuries discovering everything about the Underworld―except her place in it. But when she’s ripped from her home, solving the riddle of her origins becomes more important than ever. With evil stalking her through the dark alleys of Detroit, she finds salvation from an unlikely source: a group of immortal warriors sworn to protect the city.

Really enjoyed this start to a new series, some great characters and excellent world building made it a stonking good read.

Khara is taken from her home and thrown into Detroit where she meets her "family" and starts on a journey to discover her origins and understand her place in the world. She's a great character to follow along with, clever and impulsively intuitive, she can come across as cold and uncaring yet she is very well drawn, a girl amongst many "brothers" who wants nothing more than to get back home. But it may not be that easy, and as the novel progresses the main character really comes into her own.

There is a fair bit of information to assmilate early on, and overall I would definitely say this is a "Part One" - setting the scene, fairly slow build up but very accessible reading and I found it to be a bit of a page turner despite the fact that it is not necessarily full of action.

A great way to wet the appetite to find out more about the world Khara inhabits and what the heck is going on. Some clever little twists on mythology and a great sense of place when it comes to Detroit. Both worldly and other worldly at the same time I really thought the atmospheric writing style hit the spot and it engaged me from the start.

Overall then a very good read and I'll look forward to reading the next one.

Happy Reading Folks!