Lizzy11268

Callie Bates
Mississippi Blood
Greg Iles
bookbridgr.com

Captive by Aimee Carter - Review.

Captive (The Blackcoat Rebellion) - Aimée Carter

Publication Date: 1st December from Harlequin UK

Source: Netgalley

For the past two months, Kitty Doe’s life has been a lie. Forced to impersonate the Prime Minister’s niece, her frustration grows as her trust in her fake fiancé cracks, her real boyfriend is forbidden and the Blackcoats keep her in the dark more than ever.
But in the midst of discovering that her role in the Hart family may not be as coincidental as she thought, she’s accused of treason and is forced to face her greatest fear: Elsewhere. A prison where no one can escape.

So here we are at last (been waiting for this one!) the second chapter in the “Blackcoat Rebellion” series from Aimee Carter (Book One: Pawn: Available now) and I have to say the action and adventure stepped up a notch in this one and I absolutely enjoyed it.

Kitty is still impersonating Lila Hart but something goes terribly wrong and she is betrayed by someone she trusted – thrust into “Elsewhere” with no hope of escape, she struggles to hold on to reasons to continue fighting.

I thought Kitty really came into her own here – In “Pawn” I really liked the fact that she was seemingly quite selfish, everything she does to try and change the unfairness of the world she does through lack of choice rather than because she feels heroic, which to be fair is a quite realistic reason to be doing things – but here, stuck in a dangerous and horrific situation, she starts to show a lot more depth of character, especially over the course of the story. As far as character development goes Ms Carter has it spot on, by the time I had finished reading this I was behind Kitty all the way – and I can’t wait again now to find out what is next.

The mythology also deepens, the world building expanded beautifully giving us a lot more information on the people and the places. There are lots of little twists and turns to keep you on your toes, some very emotional moments and some nice misdirection when it comes to character motivations. Overall a really fun, fast, flowing read that adds to the tale being told and sets you up nicely for Book 3. Great stuff.

Happy Reading Folks!