Lizzy11268

Callie Bates
Mississippi Blood
Greg Iles
bookbridgr.com

Cut Out by Fergus McNeill - Review.

Cut Out (DI Harland) - Fergus McNeill

Publication Date: Available Now from Hodder and Staughton

Source: BookBridgr

Nigel never meant for it to happen. At first, he just wanted to be Matt’s friend. But when he discovers he can hear what is going on in the flat below him, his fascination with his new neighbor drifts into obsession. Rearranging his furniture to recreate the layout of the rooms downstairs. Buying the same clothes, going through his post, his things. Becoming Matt without him ever knowing. And it would have been all right, if Matt hadn’t brought the girl home. When things spiral out of control, Detective Inspector Harland has to unravel the disturbing truth. But there’s far more to the case than meets the eye . .

My first DI Harland novel from Fergus McNeill (There are two others prior to this one, Eye Contact and Knife Edge) and it was a definite page turner and some really excellent crime fiction. It was easily read as a standalone novel, although I will certainly be returning to read the previous stories in the series.

A  drug dealer is murdered but before DI Harland can get his teeth into the case he is moved over to investigate the disappearance of a local woman as fears for her safety grow. As he interviews various people in her life, we are also taken back in time to hear from Nigel, who is becoming more and more obsessed with his downstairs neighbour…

I loved how this one was constructed, making it highly addictive and eminently readable – seeing the police investigation unfold whilst also learning about what has lead up to current events, the author manages to keep you on your toes with some terrific storytelling and an intelligently plotted mystery. Not everything is as it first appears and as the story twists and turns to a terrifically exciting conclusion this is crime fiction at its very best.

I adored the characters, the setting and the flow of it – DI Harland is wonderful as a main protagonist and I also developed a bit of a soft spot for Nigel despite his,erm, quirks. Add to them a well rounded supporting cast, a clever and satisfying set of suspects and an interesting psychological depth when it comes to the issue of stalking and you have a well imagined, intriguing tale which will keep you avidly turning the pages until you are done.

Definitely highly recommended for Crime fiction fans and for anyone looking to dip their toe in the water when it comes to this genre.

Find out more here: http://www.fergusmcneill.blogspot.co.uk/

Follow the author on Twitter here: https://twitter.com/fergusmcneill

Purchase Information: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fergus-McNeill/e/B009ROPGAO/ref=dp_byline_cont_book_1