Lizzy11268

Callie Bates
Mississippi Blood
Greg Iles
bookbridgr.com

Last Winter we Parted - Review.

Last Winter We Parted - Fuminori Nakamura

Publication Date: October 21st 2014 from Soho Press.

Source: Netgalley

A young writer arrives at a prison to interview a man arrested for homicide. He has been commissioned to write a full account of the case, from its bizarre and grisly details to the nature of the man behind the crime. The suspect, while world-renowned as a photographer, has a deeply unsettling portfolio—lurking beneath the surface of each photograph is an acutely obsessive fascination with his subject.

This one was a bit hit and miss for me - the story was intriguing for sure and there is some dark obsessive traits to the flow of the novel that do keep you reading - however, whether something was lost in translation or whether it was just me, the whole thing felt a little disjointed.

On the plus side it is a compelling tale - A writer preparing to write a book about some grisly murders begins interviewing the killer - but some dark secrets start to emerge which changes his outlook on the whole thing and leads him down a dark path. I particularly loved the themes relating to creativity and when it becomes obsesssion, the dangerous nature of the protagonists becoming clearer and some of it is really quite frightening.

However I found it hard to separate the characters on occasion - the writing style didnt really change, and sometimes the plot lost cohesion and you were not really sure where you were. Whilst the killer and the writer are well drawn, I found the women to be too caricature for me - over the top and unlikely, which sometimes took me out of the moment. It also suffered from a rather convoluted (in my opinion) resolution and a tendency to pull plot threads out of nowhere. To be fair that is likely to be translation issues rather than anything else but still it grated somewhat.

There is definitely a great book in here, the premise is clever, the execution may be hit and miss as I said but still I read to the end because I absolutely had to know what was going on and what the outcome would be.

Overall, good not great, but worth a try if you like your fiction with a dark heart.

Happy Reading Folks!